*Following on from the Independent review of Federal Environmental Laws released – EPBC Act article.
In late February, the Federal Government introduced the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Amendment (Standards and Assurance) Bill 2021, to amend the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation (EPBC) Act 1999. The Amendment Bill proposes the creation and implementation of the National Environmental Standards and the creation of a new statutory independent Environment Assurance Commissioner. The Bill fails to adopt all the recommendations related to standards from the Samuel’s Final Report. This will not prevent the continued decline in our biodiversity.
On 25 February 2021, the Senate referred the Standards and Assurance Bill to the Senate Environment and Communications Legislation Committee for inquiry (submissions closed 25 March 2021) and report by 1 June 2021.
Make a difference to environmental laws – urge these cross benchers to reject the EPBC streamlining:
- Stirling Griff (Centre Alliance, SA): [email protected], (02) 6277 3128
- Rex Patrick (Independent, SA): [email protected], 1300 556 115 (toll free)
- Jacqui Lambie (Jacqui Lambie Network, Tasmania): [email protected], (03) 6431 3112
- Malcolm Roberts (One Nation, Queensland): [email protected], (07) 3221 9099
- Pauline Hanson (One Nation, Queensland): [email protected], (07) 3221 7644
Please also email a copy to [email protected]